Re: [oletrucks] New Truck: 1948 Chevy 1-Ton

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New Truck: 1948 Chevy 1-Ton
From: "Mike Anderson" <m1a20@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:23:21 -0600
yes thank you to those who have read this and noticed the receipt request
 and those who haven't)  I have turned off that feature.  I did not intend
for it to be propagated to all who read it.  it is fixed now.

I am still looking for good literature on restoring this truck.  I have been
to the county library this evening and to the county service center to start
the title process. (lost title, or no title.  need to apply for new one in
order to get plates and tabs even to park it in the parking lot.)  I call
Chevrolet for their restoration materials, but they will take 6-8 weeks.
does anyone have names of shop manuals or places to buy manuals to service
a 1948 Chevy 3800?  most important to me are the straight 6 motor and
4-speed transmission guides.

on to more important issue:  this truck has been sitting for at least a year
in the previous owner's yard.  where should I start cleaning and checking?
I want to make it at least road legal.

any preferences or drawbacks to collector plates?  will I still be able to
drive it to work 6 months out of the year?

thanks in advance for information on books and manuals.  I have used and
enjoyed many of your collective webpages, and I hope to have my own up as
soon as I have pictures to post.

Mike
48 Chevy 3800 http://webpage.to.come.soon