Re: [oletrucks] Off topic- 1970 Z-28 Type LT

To: Don Hartman <dhartman@sunvalley.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off topic- 1970 Z-28 Type LT
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 19:12:23 -0800
Hi Don,
I'm not a Camaro expert, however I did buy the showroom model in March of
70, from City Chevrolet in San Diego. This is the year the F-body changed
and came out later than the other Chevrolet line, thus they were (and are)
known as the 70 1/2 Z28's. This was the year the 350 LT1 motor appeared,
with a rating of 360hp (same motor in Corvette 370hp) a Muncie rock crusher
4-spd and std posi 12 bolt rear with 3.73 (opt 4.10) rear gears.
I don't know what a LT model would be, unless it's referring to the fore
mentioned LT1, not to be confused with the more recent same designation on
Corvette motors. I had the standard model, which had the front bumper bar
complete across the front from left to right. Far as I know, the only other
model available (70 1/2) was the Rally Sport, which had a two piece front
bumper, with nothing in front of the grill opening, and possibly Rally
Sport wheels. Both models came std with Goodyear F60-15 wide ovals, and
both had the trunk lid mounted spoiler which extended slightly over the
rear fenders, but not part of the rear fender.
The 71 Z28's had a cam change, reduction in compression, and was the first
year offering a auto tranny. This was also the first of the lower (210hp)
advertised rating due to using a different method to rate the ponies under
the hood. This was also the beginning of the rear spoiler being part of
each rear fender, besides the trunk lid portion.

My car was stolen in Feb 1980 from a parking lot in Culver City, Ca or I
undoubtably would still have it. The bare hulk was recovered eventually,
and I suspect somebody wanted to build a Z28 from a regular F-body.
I would be very cautious and verify it is actually a 70 1/2 model, since
there are many, many imposters out there being offered for top dollar, when
in reality they are not the real item. I do still have the LT1 motor (CTB
code) since I had a built 331 in it when it was stolen.
I have a lot of documentation from 70 magazine articles etc regarding this
car which I can consult if you have specific questions, contact me off list.

>Hello-  any members happen to be experts on the 2nd generation Camaros?  I
>have an opportunity to purchase a 1970 Z-28 type LT and can't find the
>differences on the web, though I'm not done looking.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net  or

robert.f.fischer.jr@syntegra.com