Re: [oletrucks] Welding info wanted...Circuit breaker size for

To: GremlinGTs@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding info wanted...Circuit breaker size for
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:46:00 EST
In a message dated 3/11/00 6:32:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GremlinGTs@aol.com writes:

>  Alright, I actually have 3 questions I'd like answered. (1) I have an old
>  Hobart T-225 arc welder that I'm trying to bring back to life ( been
>  interesting to find any cable parts for it, which is all I really need ).
>  What size breaker/fuse are you arc welders using with your Lincoln / Brand
>
>  220 VAC arc welders? I installed a 50-amp circuit breaker, figuring that
was

>  about the right size for the size of the power cord ( 6/0 on my welder ).
>  friend of mine suggested using a 40-amp breaker, for safety, but I'd like
>  some info on what you guys are using already.
>     (2)Also, it's been awhile since I've done ANY arc welding, I"m more
>  familiar with gas welding...which cable hooks up to the part being welded,
>  and which to the rod? I"m trying to weld up a broken frame on a '77 Dodge
>  van, as the steering box broke off with part of the frame, common to these
>  Dodge vans of this era, I've been told, and have seen. No one locally will
>  touch it, so I'm left to try it myself.
>     (3) I"ve got a 110 VAC Montgomery Wards "harry homeowner" arc welder,
> what
>  size rod/wire should I use? I bought it at an auction last year, but have
>  never tried using it until recently. I tried the 220 welding rods, but it
>  just arcs and sticks , won't draw a constant arc to weld with, so I guess
>  those rods are too thick to be used with this type of welder? and can I
weld

>  the aforementioned frame ( 1/8 inch thick at most ) with the thinner
welding

>  wire it probably uses? Thanks for any help, fella's!
>
>  Jerry Casper
>  rookie welder ( arc )

  Jerry,

  The CB rating needs to be applicable to the wire gauge as well, you can't
just throw a 50amp brealer on 16 ga wire, the wire overheats and melts the
insulation before the breaker trips.

  Take a look at the NEC (should be a copy at the library), and get the info
with wire size vs. current rating.

  With that said, 40 amp CP should be sufficient for a180-200 amp buzz box,
but you really need to verify by the input rating of the unit (should be a
tag with s/n, voltage and current on it).

  You probably have an AC welder, hook the ground to the frame, the "work" or
load to the tap that shows the current rating.

  With a 110v buzzbox, proably 1/16th rod.  Not sure of the type, I usually
grab what my Dad tells me to use:)

Mike