[oletrucks] 59 TF Posi

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 59 TF Posi
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:14:11 -0700
Mike--

I think the posi was quite rare, probably installed in less than 5% of
the 59 Chevy half tons (just a guess).

This early posi doesn't have springs preloading the clutch plates...so
it is supposed to be loose.  When you apply torque to it, the forces on
the spider/side gears force the side gears out, and compress the
clutches.

Value is hard to determine...since there aren't any other gear ratios
commonly availble for it, you can only use it with the 3.92 ratio, and
most folks today seem more interested in highway gears.  The gears are
different from the Dana 44 rearend, I checked...

I probably would not take less than $500 for my 59 posi rearend, but I'm
not motivated to sell it.  I know I can spend more than that replacing
it with something else.

Jim