Re: [oletrucks] Big Blocks.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Big Blocks.
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:08:37 -0600 (CST)
I've got a '56 2WD that the PO put a big block in.  Several things.

The engine is old enough that it uses the same mount system as the 235.  He
put it in the same position as the 235 and the thing clears the firewall by
about 1/2 inch (after moving the firewall out of the way with a sledge
hammer).

The distributor is buried.

It has the factory 4 speed on it, and it seems to be holding up fine.

The PO did not have to move the battery shelf.

The PO put in a fuel system that uses long lengths of hose to find the
pump.  I would really like to see more metal line here.

It has a stock radiator with a 7 psi cap and seems to do fine in Minnesota,
don't know about warmer climates or extended slow speed runs.  There should
be some kind of a fan shroud on  it.  The fan is about 8" back from the
radiator.  With a good clean radiator and a shroud, I don't think you would
have a problem on a stock engine.

The guages and generator hooked right up.

It had an automatic choke that has been converted to manual.

It has a push button on the dash to replace the floor starter.  The V-8's
that came as an option on some of these trucks had a key switch starter, so
they should be available.

Converting to an alternator should be no big deal.  If your's is new
enough, it should have an alternator on it already.  If not, get a GM one
wire and fix a bracket for it where the generator is now.  If it is the old
style (from the 60's) alternator, you will also need the proper voltage
regulator for an alternator.  I can scan or photocopy the wiring diagram
for the old GM alternator if you need it.

The throttle linkage is pretty standard, looks like it came right off the 6.

I got the thing last fall and have had no opportunity to take the clutch
off yet to see what the PO did.  The clutch in it has a tendency to chatter
when it's going in.  Don't know if that is related to the engine or just
wear or poor driving by the PO.  It seems to be getting better with age.

I originally bought the thing for a parts truck but it runs and it has kind
of grown on me.

Mine is a diamond in the rough.  My pride and joy is a dead stock 57 long
box with a 235 and 4 speed.  Hope this helps.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
56 3100