Re: [oletrucks] Turning Brake Drums Down?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Turning Brake Drums Down?
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:35:00 -0500
The surface on the inside of a brake drum becomes unsmooth, thus allowing
poor contact with the brake shoes. This happens usually when the brakes are
used past their useful life and the rivets in the shoes actual grind
grooves in the drums. Most places charge 5 bucks or so to put the drum on a
machine and make this surface smooth again. If you have ridges or grooves
and the drums are not turned you will prematurely wear out the new brake
shoes...This can only be done a couple times as they have a minimum
thickness that the drums need to be to be safe.. After this you need to get
new drums... This is also done on disc rotors as well... Wayne

---------
Visit me on the web at http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne
          Or my wife at http://www.connieosborne.com
---------