Re: [oletrucks] Need Bearings!!!! Loose as a goose....

To: <VIKINGHILL@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Need Bearings!!!! Loose as a goose....
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:36:32 -0800
That's strange that an Alignment shop won't install the bearing and races
because it's so easy and they charge buy the hour anyway!

The bearing come with races "matching set" and your going to want to
purchase the seal also.

You can install the bearing very easily but I would recommend a brass punch
to tap in the new races.  Here's what ya do:

Remove the tire
Take the cotter pin out and remove the hub from the spindle
Place the rear of the hub on something to support it but still allow you to
punch the rear race out.  If you feel inside the hub you'll notice slots in
the rear that will allow you to place the punch directly on the rear of the
race and drive it out "race bearing and seal".

You can then turn the hub over and with the same procedure remove the outer
race.

I'd remove all the old grease from within the hub to remove all the old dirt
and grime that's accumulated over the years.

To install the races use the brass punch or wooden block to tap them back
into place.  They have a shoulder to rest against so you'll know when there
all the way in.

To adjust the pre load on the bearing you spin the tire while apply about
10-15 lbs. of pressure to the spindle nut with a wrench.  Then you back the
nut off to align with the nearest hole.

Joe
http://chevy1.freeservers.com/
http://jeepster.freeservers.com/