[oletrucks] 55-59 front shock mounts

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 55-59 front shock mounts
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:34:01 -0700
Hey, I've been thru that!  Actually, I'm doing that right now...one of
them broke on my 59 extended cab last fall, when my wife was driving the
truck, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it till now.  I'm
putting a "new" overhauled 454 in it to replace the tired one, and while
I have the truck in the shop I ought to fix the shock...

I ordered 4 new shocks from Chevy Duty, and they said they were on back
order.  Surprise...they showed up the following week.  I have a used
bracked from another frame I had cut up.  So, I just have to cut the
rivets off and bolt the bracket on.  The replacement bracket is quite
rusty on the backside, so I hope it doesn't break right away.

On my other 59, I had a front shock bracket break off a long time
ago...the shock go under the axle while driving down the road...lifted
the truck up several inches, quite a surprise!  Back then (early 80s)
you could still buy replacement brackets at the local Chevy dealer, they
had them in stock, so that's what I did.  I replaced both of them, and
they are still in great shape 20 years and 100k+ miles later.

Hopefully, I'll get the engine going in the truck today or tomorrow, and
then I really ought to fix the kingpins, the brakes, service the tranny,
get some new front tires on it, and do something about the paint...the
primer is going away fast.

Back to work...
Jim