[oletrucks] on the road again

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] on the road again
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:10:40 -0700
Hey, I've been making a little bit of oletruck progress, at last!

I got the "new" 454 in my 59 extended cab pickup this past weekend.  I
put new in quotes because this engine is a real junker...it had eight
sleeves in it, plus it was bored .040" over.  I just put in new rings,
bearings, and cam and lifters.  I also added some "peanut port" heads
that I had no other use for, the heads had been redone, and I didn't
want them to go to waste.  It runs just fine, nice and quiet, lots of
oil pressure.  The "old" 454 I took out was getting about 30 psi at
cruising speed...and when I took it apart, I discovered that all the
bearings were shot, as well as having all the valve seals laying in the
oil pan in small pieces.

I also got the new used earlier style front shock brackets installed,
and the new shocks.  I decided that it was time for new front tires, as
one was down to the cords on one side...amazing how bad stuff gets when
you don't pay attention to it!  I also ordered some new kinpins from the
local parts store, they should be in today....and when I get the front
end torn apart, I'll probably want to do a brake job too.  It never
ends!

Jim