[oletrucks] doesn't wanna die

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] doesn't wanna die
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 07:17:02 -0700
In the late 60s and 70s, dieseling became a problem on many cars, so
Detroit came up with the simple solution...the anti-dieseling solenoid.
It is an idle speed stop that is electrically activated, so the idle
speed setting is correct when engergized, but when you turn off the
engine, the idle speed drops a couple hundred rpm.  For example, the
normal idle speed screw would be set to 400 rpm, and the solenoid would
be set to 600 rpm (actual idle speed).

I had to put this solenoid on a couple of big blocks I have owned, to
help them shut off. I don't know if you could find such a thing for an
original 216 or 235, but they are common on many V-8s, and you can even
buy brackets and solenoids from Holley to fit many of their 4bbl carbs.

Otherwise, just drop the idle speed to the minimum you can live with,
and perhaps shut it off in drive, or get ready to let the clutch out (in
gear, with the brake on) when you shut off the engine.

Jim