[oletrucks] Transmission and Rear End Gearing questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Transmission and Rear End Gearing questions
From: "Jason E. Markel" <markel@webt.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 11:38:12 -0400
I recently acquired a 1959 1/2 ton shortbed fleetside w/4 speed manual.
The rear axle appears to be non-original.  I'm guessing it might be from a
71 3/4 ton, but I really have no idea.  At 60 miles per hour the engine
(350 chevy) is really spinning, so I either want to change the transmission
or rear end.  The axle bears the following information when viewed from the
driveshaft side:

        B or 3   896389         driveshaft              GM71

Now for the questions:

1) Any idea what this is from or what the axle ratio would be?  How would I
find out?

2) What are the internal ratios of the original 4 speed transmission?

3) What more modern transmission would be a good replacement?  If I
convert, I'd like to retain a "granny" gear and get an overdrive gear.  So,
I guess I'm really looking for a 5-speed truck tranny that will fit without
a lot of modifications.  What are my options?

4) If I wanted to change the rear, I'm guessing the easiest thing to do
would be to get the entire axle assembly, drum to drum.  That way, I could
also get a 5 lug pattern.  What axle would give me the same rear width and
bolt right up?  I'd like to find a posi unit, presumably in the 3.07 to
3.38 range.

Keep in mind I will probably only switch either the transmission or the
gears, not both.

Thanks.
Jason