Re: [oletrucks] 52/51 GMC, MAX GVW 16000, brakes

To: "Adam Brandon Whitson" <ABWDVM@rocketmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 52/51 GMC, MAX GVW 16000, brakes
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:05:18 -0500
My '52 640 (22000lb gvw) has pull down handles and wing windows. I have no
doubt that it is a '52, I am only the third owner, and it came with a good
title.

On the wheel cylinders, 1953 was the changover year on the 3/4 and 1 ton
trucks, I'm not sure what the year was on the 1-1/2 or 2 tons. It would
probably be the same as they used the same basic type of brakes on the
front. Rear brakes are a totally different ball game.

I don't have a chevy duty catalog handy but I they may not be listing brake
parts for the larger trucks. As rule of thumb if it dosen't secifically list
the larger trucks it's only for the wimpy 1/2 tons. They may well carry them
though, just not have them in their catalog.

Your best bet for kits would be NAPA, and it would probably help to know
what size the cups are. The size should be cast into the outside of the
cylinder, if not it's on the cups themselves.

If you need whole cylinders there are several companies like Chevy Duty that
have some NOS parts, failing that look on Hemming's web site for someone who
sleeves them.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck