[oletrucks] Project Update

To: "AAAOleTrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Project Update
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:15:07 -0500
I just spent the last approx 2 weeks re-sandblasting and have now finished
four fenders, inside fenders, running boards, doors, hood halves, seat
frame, grill pan, radiator mount, bumper skirt, and a few other misc items.
I used a cheapie Craftsman siphon sandblaster. To do the job right, it took
on average about 4 hours per piece. This may seem like a long time, but the
results are really amazing. I paid $650 for the dry strip that was
unacceptable, and doing it myself cost approx $150 in sand and ceramic
nozzles. An investment in time really pays off.

Today, I used Sherwin Williams 980 etching primer/filler (and surgical
gloves when touching the cleaned bare metal) and primed all the parts. Now,
I can take my time and assess all the small damage that needs repaired. I
have door bottom sheet metal to replace, various dents to fix, and some spot
welding to do. Good news is, the primer will protect the metal until I get
around to repairing everything at which time, epoxy primer and top coat can
be applied. I took a chance and went to a Tool Show in Newton, KS at the
National Guard Armory (cheapie tools) and purchased a Touch-Up Spray Gun (8
oz. can I think) for $14.95. I know you get what you pay for, but I was very
impressed! It works as advertised and really did a fine job. I dunno how
well it would do on top coats, but on primer it works amazingly well.

Next step is to sandblast the cab. As explained above, this will take
considerable time, but I am positive I can complete it in a week. I will
sandblast inside and out very thoroughly. My dad (who finally came back to
Kansas after spending the winter in south TX) made me a Cab Cart. This is
really nice! It has 2 wheels that pivot and 2 stationary. The wheels are
large and the stationary ones are inflatable. Its footprint is the size of
the cab so it takes no more room than the cab, and its platform is built
perfectly to accomodate the cab mounting holes. Of course the custom
platform is raised and set up to protect the floor of the cab. To top that
off, he made a hitch so I can pull the cab cart around with my Lawn Tractor!
Now, when I sandblast the cab in our lot next to the shop, I dont have to
have help moving it out to the sandblast site.

I have another roll of film and I will scan them soon and get them up on the
site. Stay tuned for further developments. As always, thanks to everyone for
all the advice and help I seem to constantly need!

Deve
50 3100
49 3600
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html