[oletrucks] flex-a-lite fan for 235?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] flex-a-lite fan for 235?
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 02:20:36 PDT
Hello all,

The mission -- Find a fan that will fit a 235 where a 216 was.

I was reading the archives about the proper fan for a 235 in a 51 1/2 ton.
I only have 1.5 inches between my stock radiator and the harmonic balancer?.
  Mr Vikinghill once said that his water pump shaft was 1" which was
seconded by another oletrucker.  I was at the local junk yard and noticed a
six blade fan on a 50 4600 that had a 1" shaft.  I procured it all the while
thinking that my search for coolness was over.  I tried to put it on my 51
1/2 ton and it didn't want to fit.  After about two hours of trying to make
it fit I finally took out the radiator and grill to see 'What The Hey Is
Goin On Here'.  What the hey - My water pump shaft is 5/8" (it stays that
size even if it is gently rubbed) and the bolt pattern is different.  What's
up with that?  Now don't get me wrong, I don't have shaft envy cuz Mr V's is
bigger than mine.  Why aren't the water pumps the same for these old trucks?

Anyhow after finding out that all shafts are not equal, I cruised out to the
local parts stores in search of the correct fan.  Eventually I found a
Flex-a-lite 1000 series 18" rigid aluminum fan for $38.00.  I believe that
Mr Holton has this kind on his truck.  It is only 1 1/4" wide and I think
that I can make it fit.  I had to buy a 1" Flex-a-lite spacer ($16.95).
With that spacer I have a tad under 1/2" clearance from the harmonic
balancer? but the fan bolts were touching the radiator.  I will have the
spacer turned down to give me 1/8-3/32 clearance from the balancer? and use
button head bolts to hold the fan on.

Does everyone else have this much trouble cooling their truck that has a 235
in a 216 space?  How can I tell if my engine is actually a 235 and not
something different?  I have over 30# oil pressure when the engine is
running.  The PO said that that the engine was a 235 from a 54.  He is also
the weasel that flattened the original fan with a hammer.

Mission not yet complete but the end should be soon.

Durwood
51 1/2 ton 5 window