[oletrucks] Buick vs Chevy 350

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Buick vs Chevy 350
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:58:35 -0700
Jim--

I suppose you could use a Buick engine just as easily as a Chevy
engine...except for all the differences.

There are several different types of universal motor mount kits
available for the Chevy, I doubt there are any for the Buick.  You'd
want to carefully measure the exhaust clearance for the steering box
BEFORE buying the engine...this is tight on Chevys, but at least there
are several different exhaust manifolds available for the Chevys...not
sure about Buicks.  Another thing is that they quit making Buick V-8s
roughly 20 years ago, so parts availability will never be what it is
with a Chevy.  also, check the distance from the fan to the back of the
engine...see if it will fit in the truck!  Check for a wierd oil pan
sump, to make sure it won't hit anything.  I'd suggest using the tranny
that came with the Buick engine...adapters aren't the way to go here.

I can't believe that there aren't any Chevy v-8s in your neck of the
woods...they're like bellybuttons, everybody has one!

Jim F