Re: [oletrucks] suburban sending unit ?..no easy solution...

To: varanus@phoenix.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] suburban sending unit ?..no easy solution...
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:00:43 EDT
 Hi, EP...I ran into this problem with my 55 2nd series Suburban, I couldn't
find one, Golden State Truck parts had one, ( circa 1993? ) but when I got
it, the item was put together incorrectly ( ie, welded wrong, the mounting
disk with the 5 holes was turned around, and the bracket holding the gas line
tube was missing ). It wouldn't fit correctly, so I ended up sending it back
for a refund. Never did find another new source, so I wound up removing the
electrical part and replacing it by drilling out the rivet holding it to the
casing, and replacing it from another used unit. IT worked ok for awhile, but
the brass metal used for making the connection was thin, and it might have
broken when I put it back in, as it doesn't work right now. The Suburban tank
is long and narrow, compared to the behind-the-seat tank, which is deeper.
You might be able to get a sending unit out of a later model truck, like the
mid-seventies Chevies, they have a similar style tank ( my '74 chevy pickup
has the so-called " 20/20 " exploding tank...inside the right frame rail,
long tank, looks like a dead ringer for the early '55 tank ), I've never
gotten one ( sending unit )  to see how they look compared to the old unit,
but as the tank is similar in design, it might actually work, with a  little
work...the unit GS put out certainly didn't live up to expectations, they
might have corrected this problem, I might have gotten a bad one that someone
assembled incorrectly, but with the missing tube tab to hold the tube in
place and not move around, I suspected the quality wasn't as good anyway. SO,
in conclusion, you can call Golden State, see if they still offer one, and
what kind of guarantee they give, you'll still have to pay for shipping .
Good luck, I'm going to Carlisle this Friday, I might try to locate and
appropriate a late-model sending unit, if someone has one, or a used one, to
try and see if they're similar. 'Bye!

Jerry Casper
Been there, did it, got no satisfaction then...