Re: [oletrucks] painted, but another ?

To: "David" <mytruck@hehe.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] painted, but another ?
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:57:32 -0700
>I finally put some paint on my 59 this weekend.  The problem is that it has
almost a "hammered" finish, or like a matte style photo.

Tex, I assume you're talking about top coat paint, not primer, which usually
has a matte surface.

There are a couple of reasons I know of why this happens.

If the paint is sort of grainy, almost like sand, this means that the paint
is already mostly dry when it hits the surface.  Possible causes are that
you are holding the gun too far away or that the reducer you are using is
evaporating too quickly.  If holding the gun closer doesn't work, then talk
to your supplier about using a slower reducer.

If it is smooth (not grainy) with a hammered appearance, this probably means
that the surface has residual wax.  Often you find fisheyes appearing in the
paint from this cause, usually over a respray rather than on a surface which
was sanded down to metal.

You should clean thoroughly with a wax and grease remover from the paint
supplier, and consider shooting a coat of sealer.  The sealer is made for
resprays, to keep different kinds of paint from reacting with each other.

Some kinds of paint will absorb others, or rather the solvents in the
others, which then begin to lift the underlying coat.  This could also be a
cause of the problem.  Using a sealer will prevent this, but if the solvent
has already permeated the underlying paint, you will have to sand not only
the new, but also the old, or it will probably happen again.

Regards,

Grant S.