Re: [oletrucks] 55 road draft tube ?'s

To: gls@4link.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 road draft tube ?'s
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 06:12:27 EDT
>  Is there anything desirable (other than eliminating the road tube) about
>  PCV?

Very desirable.  As you burn fuel, water vapor is produced that finds its way
to oil.  Same with gasoline  when choke is on.   sulfur in gas burns and some
SO2 also dissolvs in the moisture in oil forming acid.This gobbles up
bearings.  What we need is a little fan inside the engine to blow out the
vapors.  PCV valve does the trick.  The early PCV system was adveritsed in
the 1950s for door to door delivery trucks that never got up to speed for
draft tube to work properly.  At speed, the air currents under the engine
help suck air and vapor contaminants out of the engine.  Replacement air
comes in the top vents or vented oil filler cap.  Good system.  Burning the
contaminants does not hurt engine, but I think you need a richer carb jet if
you retrofit.  I put one on my 1946 2 ton snow plow that never gets above 5
mph.  Engine is more comefortable with choke pulled slightly out.
Bob ADler