[oletrucks] sticky shifter

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] sticky shifter
From: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 09:13:42 -0500
My stock 49 3100 has a 3 on the tree shifter that will (sometimes) lock
up when shifting from 1st to 2nd. When I say "locks up" I mean that the
tranny gets stuck in 1st and will not shift into any other gear. This
doesn't happen all of the time but when it does I have to get out, crawl
under the truck, and push the shifter arm forward on the tranny. It only
happens going from 1st to 2nd.
As far as I can tell, the shifter rods are not bent, all of the
clearances are good (between rods and arms) and nothing seems out out of
the ordinary. I have followed the shop manual installation instructions
to the letter at least 3 times, and still have the problem. The tranny
was rebuilt before I put it back in the truck, I've had 3 different
tranny guys (all with old trucks) look at it, and no one seems to know
whats going on.
Does this happen to anyone else, or better yet, would anyone know how to
go about fixing it?
Thanks
Brad Newman
49 3100