[oletrucks] Re: Leaking hubs

To: "La Fountaine Family" <glafountaine@socal.rr.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Leaking hubs
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:45:38 -0400
George,

   The source of your leak is most likely at the forward end of the torque
tube. There is a bushing and seal in there, and when they wear out, the
tranny lube makes its way into the rear end and eventually out through the
wheel seals into the brake drums.

   Jim Carter and other vendors sell what's called an "Okie Bushing" to
replace the original torque tube seal. Getting the old one out requires a
special inside bushing puller which you can rent from Carter. While you have
the axles out, check the area where the seals ride for 'witness line' wear
or pitting. For about $30 per axle you can buy stainless repair sleeves to
restore this surface. Might as well do it right or it will be leaking again
in a few thousand miles. Ah the joys of the torque tube.

Jack / Winter Park FL
'51 GMC 1/2 ton

PS your original message had no subject line so didn't make it to my
"oletrucks" folder.