Re: [oletrucks] '49 Chevy Frame exchange

To: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>, "Scott Jilek" <srjilek@stthomas.edu>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '49 Chevy Frame exchange
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:35:02 -0400
OK Scott, after some delay and finally getting a chance to crawl around this
morning, here's some
rough measurements:

These were taken from my 1996 Chevy S-10, 6-foot bed.

1. The wheelbase of the S-10 is about 106" compared to around 116" for my 1953
1/2 ton.
2. Frame width of the S-10 at the rear axle is 40", the AD's is 44"
3. Frame width for the S-10 at the forward most point of the frame ahead of the
front wheels is 30",
while the AD's is 25"
4. Distance from the center of the front wheel to the front of the frame on the
S-10 is 24", while
the AD's is about 16"

Other observations:  The AD frame is a constant taper from back to front while
the S-10 is pretty
consistant, tapering mostly at the firewall to the point of the front
suspension, then straight
forward from there.  It looks like if you wanted to drop the AD cab on the S-10
frame, the area that
would give you the most trouble would be the S-10's rear wheel kick-up would
not be located in the
correct position.  You might be able to correct this by cutting and welding the
frame to remove the
kick-up and then playing with the location of the rear axle.  The bed would
probably extend far
enough past the end of the S-10 frame that you might have to add on a section
to compensate for
this.

I guess anything is "do-able", just whether or not the home-brew engineering
and resultant
fabrication is worth all the effort.  To me, welding heavy sections of steel
like frame members is
no big deal and therefore just repairing rusted or rotted sections of the
original AD frame, and
boxing in the C-sections would seem to be easier.  Your call, I guess!

Hope this helps.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100 rod project
72 Chevy Malibu