[oletrucks] Drive Shaft Donors

To: "'Chevy Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Drive Shaft Donors
From: Paul Blosser <paulb@todays-tech.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:34:44 -0500
I set the engine and transmission (350/350) in the bare frame for the
last time this weekend.  It's all nestled in there nice and pretty.  I
have the power steering & alternator on, the power brake master cylinder
is in place and I'm about ready for brake lines and a driveshaft.

I measured the distance from the end of the transmission output spline
to the u-joint and came up with 55".  The u-joint measurement is 3 1/2"
wide with 1 1/2" u-bolts.  Do you all have any recommendations on either
a donor drive shaft or recommendation on having one built?  I was
thinking of contacting denny's drive line service or Inland Empire -- I
see them advertise in the magazines quite a bit.  There is also a shop
in Springfield MO, called Springfield brake that re-arched and rebuilt
the springs that can fabricate drivelines.  I can contact them to see
what a drive shaft would run.

Next up, body work.  I've started sanding/pounding on fenders.  The
driver's side front fender had a pretty good crease in it and I have
most of this smoothed out pretty well, it will still take a little bit
of filler I think.

While I'm doing body work, I'm also trying to get the door hinges
rebuilt -- any suggestions on getting the pins out.  I'm about ready to
result to some heat to see if this will help.  I soaked everything for a
day in carb cleaner to get all the old gunk off, then sandblasted.  I've
got most of one pin drilled, although my drill isn't long enough.

TIA,

Paul Blosser
1954 3100