[oletrucks] fan shroud

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] fan shroud
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 14:24:50 -0700
Well I finally got an original style radiator (heavy duty, I was told)
installed on my truck to replace the leaky non original one that came
with the truck.  The threads on the mounting brackets on the passenger
side were missing, so I had to use bolts and nuts instead of the nifty
pointy bolts that came with the kit I ordered; the driver's side threads
were fine.

But I don't see how the shroud is supposed to attach.  I got a plastic
shroud from American Classic, and it seems to fit pretty well in general
outline, but my radiator doesn't have the little brackets on the sides
that the picture shows the shroud attaching to in my assembly manual.
There are 2 screw holes on each side that might work, but the picture in
the manual shows 3.

Also, the assembly manual shows just under an inch clearance between the
fan and the radiator; I have more like 3 or 4 inches.  So maybe the
shroud wouldn't fit anyway, and clear the fan.   My engine isn't
original for this truck, but it's an old V-8 and I think it's a 283.
Then again, it's also obvious that the intake manifold isn't original;
the hose attach point for the upper radiator hose angles to the driver's
side, and should go straight forward to the radiator.  Sigh.  I'll try
to find a different part for that; probably some chrome thingy.

So:  how do shrouds attach to the radiator on stock '58 Chevy trucks
with V-8's?  If nothing else, this gives me something else to look at
next time I go to a truck show!

Ed Miller
'58 Apache short Fleetside