[oletrucks] 58 radiator/fan shroud

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 58 radiator/fan shroud
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:06:28 -0700
Ed-

The 58/59 trucks had a shroud from the factory on V-8 engine equipped
trucks...it's a long tube steel shroud, not very common.  It bolts to
the radiator mouting bolts as I recall.  There's one on a local 59 that
I've worked on (several years ago).

The 55-59 1 ton trucks with a 235 engine came with a bigger radiator,
which has the 6 tabs to mount the shroud...I have one of these radiators
and shrouds (from a 56) in one of my 59 trucks.

I think the shroud you have is supposed to work with the 1 ton
radiator.  You can buy these radiators new, they are called the "heavy
duty" radiator.  I seem to remember seeing a shroud like you describe on
a truck at a show.

As an aside, the 55-57 trucks had the radiator support mounted in
differnt places if the truck came with a 6 or 8.  The 8 had the radiator
support about 6" further back, and had a filler panel between the
support and the grille surround.  The 58-59 trucks all had the radiator
and support at the forward position, and used the long shroud on v-8
engines.

Jim F
59s in AZ