[oletrucks] Engine ID

Subject: [oletrucks] Engine ID
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 22:07:46 -0600
So far I've been told that the engine with the following serial numbers
is:
1. A Chevy engine and;
2. made on December 16 1954

I am a little surprised that the "L164" (which is cast as part of the
block) stands for a date.  It would seem to me that there would be a lot
of labour involved with changing the mold for the casting every day!

Can anyone tell me what the displacement is?

"The number 3836848 GM is cast on the top of the block just above the
intake/exhaust manifolds.   The number 3836340 (with "GM 1" just below)
is cast and found just below and in front of the distributor.
The number W7876 is stamped onto the block on a flat plate just behind
the distributor and finally the following is cast just above the
starter: CDN 4 (or CON 4) L164."