[oletrucks] Re: Bolts?

To: MKlepp4335@cs.com, "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Bolts?
From: Bruce Michaels <hbn@ojai.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 16:01:46 -0700
--------------86E072F9D195AA7AA8010A59

Bruce,
  If I remember correctly, You told me that you had removed and changed
around your leaf spring hangers and used bolts to reattach them.  Is
that
true?  What type and size bolts?  I assume grade 8 would be best, but
help me
out here with the size too.
  The reason I ask is I just tore down the front to rebuild the
suspension,
kingpins, etc., using your old springs.  After removing the axle, I
grabbed
the springs to see how much side to side play they had.  Much to my
surprise,
the drivers side rear mount bracket rivets were all loose!  I'm sure
that was
part of my front end problems.  I plan to grind off the rivet heads and
bolt
the bracket back in place.  Should I use lock washers or self locking
nuts on
the bolts?
  How is Killer coming, any progress?  I haven't seen you commenting
lately,
what's up?
Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX

Hey Mike,
 The way I took my rivets off was to center punch them, then step drill
them out to the level of where they just come through the part I'm
removing. Then take a chisel and a "BFH" hammer, and chisel them off. I
tried grinding too. Its a lot more time consuming.
And yes I used grade 8 bolts with 1 washer and lock nuts, "all grade 8"
. After you have the part removed, just take it into the parts store and
get what exactly fits the holes. they're different sizes for the shackle
hangars and spring hangers.
About the Killer51,
Just went down to Camarillo and bought two "front and rear" axles off a
real nice guy, Mike Clark. They're genuine NAPCO 1 ton units! "This aint
no kids game" :-)
He also gave me four rims and the transfer case mount and shifters.
Thanks again Mike!
Put a patch panel on one fender. And got cab corners from Chevy Duty. Im
working on those now. Ill post more pics to the site when I get a
chance.
Bruce

--------------86E072F9D195AA7AA8010A59
 name="hbn.vcf"