RE: [oletrucks] alternator vs. generator

To: Charles Culver <sculver@iwl.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] alternator vs. generator
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:49:08 -0500
Smokey:
        Jack's point about pulley size brings up an interesting point.

        I put a single wire alternator on my 57 GMC V8 5+ years ago.
I am very happy with it's overall performance, however at idle speed
(with Hydra-matic it is 400 RPM in gear per the manual) the alternator
spins slow enough that it does not charge at all.  About the time the
engine crosses 650 RPM the alternator cuts in and all is well again.
I am guessing that the alternator that I am using was designed this
way, probably to present less load to an engine that is turning at
such a low rate.