[oletrucks] 454 running hot

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 454 running hot
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:27:43 -0700
Hi...been there done that!

I suggest you start by removing the electric fan, and putting in the
biggest flex fan you can.  Make sure it has lots of blades, and that
they are HUGE, with lots of pitch.  You'll need a spacer so the fan
won't hit the lower pulley.  You will need to check for clearance first,
if the water pump is too close to the radiator it won't fit...then
you'll have to do some more work to make it fit, such as possibly
changing to the short water pump/pulley/bracket setup if you have the
long one now.

If this doesn't do it, you may need to get a new radiator, or get yours
recored.  I think you can get a replacement that is the same size as the
1 ton heavy duty radiator, a couple inches bigger than the normal
radiator.

I've been able to keep the 396 in one of my 59s plenty cool with the
stock radiator, but the other 59 with the 454 seems to run warm.  It has
ac, and an original (tired) 1 ton radiator, and shroud.

Jim F
59s in AZ