[oletrucks] fleet GMC late 50s

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] fleet GMC late 50s
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:49:27 -0700
Hi, Mark...

I've seen two of these trucks, both in Tucson in the late 70s.  One was
owned by a fellow that my brother met at the computer store he worked
at, and we got some parts from one of his other trucks.  I don't know
what happened to it.  At the time I saw it, it was not running, he was
still working on it.

The other one was parked at a lot (an old drive-in) on Miracle Mile.  It
appeared in a movie (or possibly a TV show) about that time, I sure
don't remember the name, but it was filmed in Tucson.  I wish my memory
was better, but 20+ years was a long time ago!

I do specifically remember the grille, which looked like expanded metal,
curved out along the middle, with chevy parking lights....the dash,
which was Chevy but had the gmc logo on the plastic cluster window...the
single headlights, which looked funny in that big hole, they had a
different headlight door (bezel).

Speaking of wierd GMCs from the late 50s, the truck I got the chrome
front bumper from (it's on my 59 ext cab now) was a 58/9 GMC Suburban,
from New Mexico highway department, at a truck junkyard in Tucson about
1980.  It had aluminum quad headlight doors on it!  Not chrome, they
were aluminum.  I didn't get them because they were torn up, or one was
missing, or somethign, but I do remember them being aluminum (they were
aluminum on cars starting in the late 50s).

As for the 4x4 with stock steering...did you happen to check what
steering box it had?  maybe it was original!

It would be easy to use the stock steering column and wheel with a later
model gear, if you put a bearing at the bottom end of the column...

Jim F
59s in AZ