Re: [oletrucks] Coating for rusty gas tank

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Coating for rusty gas tank
From: jspoon@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:31:21 -0500

Eastwood makes a kit that is supposed to clean, neutralize the rust and
then plastic coat the tank.  Has anyone actually used one of these?

Internal: Jay Witherspoon/Austin/IBM@IBMUS     T/L 678-8822
External: jspoon@us.ibm.com     (512) 838-8822
numeric pages: 800-946-4646, pin 170-8857
text pages: 1708857@mobilecomm.net
    or: http://www.mobilecomm.com/message/

Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>@autox.team.net on 06/13/2000 10:47:17
AM

Please respond to Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>

Sent by:  owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net

      <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
cc:

Gordon,

I'm going through this very thing with the tank from
my boat.  There are companies that install plastic
liners in fuel tanks.  It requires that the tank be
boiled out and chemically etched.  Then a liquid
plastic is poured inside, the tank rotated until all
surfaces are coated, then allowed to cure.  Sometimes
this process is repeated a couple of times.  These
processes are garenteed and cost approximately $80 -
$90.

Food for thought.

Byron
--- WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com> wrote:
> The gas tank in my '51 GMC pickup has a fair bit of
> surface scale/rust
> on the inside.  This results in some frustrating and
> unpredictable
> breakdowns when some crud gets sucked into the fuel
> pickup plugs up the
> system.  I am planning on pulling the tank and
> removing as much of the
> scale/rust as I can but I would then like to coat
> the inside with
> something to prevent this from happening again.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions as to how to properly
> (safely) clean and cot
> the inside of the tank?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gordon
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com