Re: [oletrucks] new guy straight axle

To: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] new guy straight axle
From: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:00:21 -0600 (MDT)
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, J Forbes wrote:

> Alfie--
>
> I would go ahead and ask "what should I do?" because you'll get answers
> from guys who have done it and been either happy or disappointed.
> Either way, you'll learn something.

-Learning something is the plan!

> I too have been driving 59s with straight axles for a long time (over 20
> years). The drum brakes work ok, if you keep them maintained.  You can
> put the self adjusting hardware from a newer (60s) vintage truck on the
> 53 backing plates, and you can also use the 53-54 car front hubs/drums
> to keep the 5 lug pattern with the stock drum brakes.  You can add an
> aftermarket dual master cylinder adapter, with a dual drum master
> cylinder (as used on most cars/trucks in the late 60s, before disks were
> standard equipment).  You'd want to inspect/replace the spring bushings
> and shackles, king pins, tie rod ends, drag link, and rebuild the
> steering gearbox.  The ride will still be choppy, and it'll take a bit
> of pedal effort and a bit more distance, but you should be able to drive
> safely if you're reasonably careful.  I have yet to run into anyone in
> my 59 after 20+ years and 130k+ miles with big block power, and stock
> susp/brakes.  You can also adapt disk brakes to the stock front axle,
> but it costs more than using drums.
>
> If you go to an independent front end, I'd recommend the Mustang II
> suspension, either bolt or weld in (weld in would be better if you
> can).  It's strong enough for regular "car type" use, but you'll want to
> add power steering and bigger brakes.  The Camaro, Chevelle, Monte
> Carlo, and Volare front suspensions are a bit too wide for the AD
> (47-55) trucks, in my opinion. They'll fit, but the wheels won't tuck
> into the fenders like the Mustang suspension.

-- I was thinking about the whole AMC pacer thing.  It sounds easy to do,
and from what I can tell, parts are still pretty easy to get. I *finally*
located a yard that still has some pacers.  Does anyone out there have the
pacer front end in their truck?  Any complaints?

> I'd not waste a perfectly good TH400 behind a measly 327...go with a
> TH350 or a 700R4, you'll save some weight and gas mileage.  Save the
> 400s for the big block guys.  My selfishness is showing  :)

- If I had a 700R4 I would use it, but I have a TH400.. Maybe I'll leave
it in the '58 and try to find an R4... Sounds expensive though.

> Oh, and welcome to the list!

- Thanks!
-alfie