Re: [oletrucks] wire gauge 6V

To: <tlaybourne@hyspan.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] wire gauge 6V
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:40:11 -0600
the rule of thumb is 2 wire sizes smaller than the wire you are protecting.  be
sure to use fuseable links and not just a smaller wire even though that will
work, it doesn't have the stinky insulation that burns easily so finding the
link will be easy. i suggest putting the fuseable link by the starter like
modern GM vehicles.thats the blue (?) wire on the starter [going by memory on
the wire color]14 gauge is way too small for the alternator wire. The minimum
size is 10 gauge like the factory uses. if you use a 2 wire alternator, be sure
the exciter wire is hooked up in series with a idiot lamp or a 10 ohm resistor.
ohms law is volts times amps = watts. watts divided by volts = amps,  watts
divided by amps = volts, so doubling the volts cuts the amps in half. a 6 volt
harness with 12 volts going through it is like an extra duty wiring harness,
because at 12 volts as opposed to 6 volts runs at ½ the amps.