Re: [oletrucks] Checking Wiring and Starting questions

To: m1a20@iname.com (Mike)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Checking Wiring and Starting questions
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:20:34 -0500 (CDT)
--WebTV-Mail-18357-4089

Mike -

I have a '49 3600 (photo attached) and have just gone thru similar
problems.
I really would not worry too much about shorting out if all you want to
do is turn over the engine with the starter.  Just hook up a full charge
battery direct to the starter and push on the starter pedal.  If it
doesn't turn over you can pull the starter by just taking off the Batt.
cable and the two bolts holding it and bench test it with the battery.
If you want to try to start the engine just disconnect the frayed  wires
at the junction on the fender wells under the hood.  You can easily
check out the coil and ignition wires and repair them.
I looked all over in the junk yards for 8 lug rims to replace the 17'
two piece "suicide rims" but everything had the wrong back spacing or
you could not use the original hubcaps.  I  finally ordered 5 custom 8
lug 15" wheels from Stockton wheel in Stockton, Ca.  You could get 16"
wheels too but I went 15" because I had a better chance of getting wide
whitewall tires from Coker.  I had to drill out the rivets holding the
clips on the old wheels and put them on the new ones in order to stay
with the original Chevy 3/4 ton "baby moon style" hupcaps.  You can get
new reproduction hubcaps from Chevy Duty for about $50. The clips they
have in their catalog are too small for the 3/4 ton hubcaps.
Hope this will help you get started.(literally).....I can't help you
with that newlywed thing!

Tom

"The Greatest mistake you can make in life is to fear that you will make
one."

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.
'49 Chevy 3600