Re: [oletrucks] rear end variety

To: "Justin Hartman" <justin_hartman@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end variety
From: "BelAir Bob" <rogerz@planetwide.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:04:57 -0500
Justin,

I've never tried to use one in an old truck but I have owned my 82 Scrambler
since ' 83 and I have learned a thing or two about Jeep rearends.  First
off, Jeep Model 20 rears from roughly '76 - '86 have weak shafts.  The
problem is that the axle flange is pressed on to the splined shaft.  Over
time the splines WILL strip out.  Replacement one piece shafts run about
$300 and another $75 for new bearings.  I had to replace mine in '94.  The
model 35 that was used in the earlier Wranglers,'87 to '99 doesn't have the
weak shaft problem.

I 'm mot sure if all of them are limited slip but mine are.  Also, gear
ratios can be had from 2:73 up to 4:56 for the model 20 and 3:07 to 4:56 for
the model 35.  The older model 44, '70-'75 and ' 86 CJ7s has an even larger
gear range, 10 options from 2:72 to 5:38

Hope this helps.

Robert Rogers
57 Belair Sport Coupe restored to original
55 -5 3100 Wife's project
57 3100
and a few others (including an 82 CJ8 Scrabmler)