[oletrucks] Rearend for 57

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rearend for 57
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:17:30 -0700
Andy--

The stock rearend with 3.90 gears will work ok behind an overdrive
automatic.  My wife's 99 Silverado has 3.73 gears from the factory...and
gets 20 mpg.  It does have tall 16" tires though.  The stock 50s vintage
truck rearends by now are getting tired, so don't be surprised if yours
has problems or breaks sometime soon with the added hp.

What are you doing about the front brakes?  If you want to keep it six
lug, then you will want to find a rearend from a 70s to 80s vintage
Chevy 4x4, you should be able to find one with 3.07, 3.40, or 3.73
gears.  They aren't cheap around here, and the axles have problems
wearing out where the bearing rides, plus the rearend will be an inch or
so wider which may affect tire clearance.

If you want to go to 5 lug (4-3/4" chevy car bolt pattern) I'd recommend
a Camaro rear from the 70s, these usually have 2.73 or 3.08 gears, which
may be a bit long for an overdrive.  You can then swap to disks or to
53-54 car drums up front and have them all match.  New wheels required
also.  The camaro rears have the same problems with axles/bearings...so
check them (by pulling out the axles) before you buy!

Jim F
59s in AZ