Re: [oletrucks] 180 vs higher temp thermostats

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 180 vs higher temp thermostats
From: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:40:05 -0700
I also run only a 180. Higher temps also require higher pressures to keep it
from boiling. Hot spots in the block cause the water to boil; the steam
pushes the water out and it overheats even worse. That's why an engine can
run cool for awhile, then suddenly peg the temp gauge. Too cool a thermostat
doesn't burn the water out of the oil, and also causes the engine to run
less efficently. It also hurts heater performance (In Texas, nobody cares
about that). A high temp thermostat would probably be ok in a rig that never
runs hot and is run in a cooler climate. Down here I don't trust them.