Re: [oletrucks] 235 Main bearing mystry - HELP!

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 Main bearing mystry - HELP!
From: "John Walch" <chevytrucker@aiusa.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:09:09 -0400
Gary, thanks for the reply

My mistake.  I stated that the bearings were "insert type",  what they are
is "roll-out" bearings.

With this type, a tang is formed on one edge of the insert to bear against
the bearing cap preventing rotation.  A matching recess in the cylinder
block for the tang also prevents longitudinal movement.

The top bearing half can be pushed out in the truck without lowering the
crank shaft.  This type with the tang supposedly was not used until 1956.
The earlier type (52-55) had a dowel to prevent movement.

John