Re: [oletrucks] Screw Removal

To: "Barry Heigher" <bheigher@yahoo.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Screw Removal
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:26:53 -0700
Barry Heigher wrote:

> I've also read, but not tried, of heating
>(propane torch/soldering iron) the screws, bolts etc
>and then touching parrafin wax to the head.  This
>supposedly draws the melted wax down to the threads
>and makes removal possible.

I like the melted wax Idea.  I can testify that a little heat often does
wonders for rusted bolts.  I'm foggy on the chemistry involved, but the heat
destroys the rust bonds between the metal pieces, and they usually come
right apart.  Try to heat the nut rather than the bolt so the outer piece
expands more than the inner, and look for a dull red color.  Be careful
around sheet metal which melts or warps easily.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)