Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement

To: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:12:53 -0400
Personally, I don't know if I would move a tank to behind the rear axle either.
There is a scenario that I have mentioned before on the list, brought to my
attention by and old timer. That is a rear end collision in which the bed, or
parts of it get pushed into the cab, rupturing the tank He said it has happened.
After talking with him  I took a look at the bed. To move the whole bed into the
cab would take enough impact to shear six bolts and rupture the whole back of
the cab. However a smaller area of impact, inside the bed sides could easily
push
one or more of the boards forward. They are only held  down by the strips,
nothing to keep them from sliding forward once the rear sill is pushed in. After
considering this I thought the suburban or 47/48 pickup location might be
preferable to in the cab.

Grant