RE: [oletrucks] gas tanks (WARNING SARCASM)

To: "John B. Mercier" <AFiggis@ibm.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] gas tanks (WARNING SARCASM)
From: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:37:55 -0700
Hi John, 30 yrs ago I experienced a fire in a land cruiser! We had just
filled truck up with fuel on way home from Mex. When suddenly the smell of
gas was strong. (There was 4 of us and we were pulling a ski boat) No
interior light, no flashlight, so what do you do when your 18 yrs old. Light
a match of course. Well when I lit the stick match It snapped clean in half
and landed on the floor lit. The next thing that happened, the entire floor
of the truck was on fire. I jumped out of the truck immediately. Fortunately
the tank never exploded. One of the guys in the back had nocked the
vent/overflow tube off. Being that the tank was full is why it never blew
up. Luckily it was extinguished after about 5 minutes by a fellow who had an
extinguisher. Only the bottom and sides of the seats got burned. We
continued on our way after the fire was out and we had calmed down.
 45 min. later the driver fell asleep and went off the highway and then back
on. When we came to a stop the boat was in the middle of the hwy. and the
trailer was upsidedown off the road. We ended up getting home the next day
with a flatbed trailer and all of our stuff on it. What a weekend.
Eric Johnson
Vista,Ca (San Diego)
48'Carryall w/56'GMC 270
49'Carryall w/Rust