RE: [oletrucks] 2 quick questions

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 2 quick questions
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:29:25 -0600
Well, I figured out my "tranny problem".  Looked through my manual, and had
some guesses for what might have it locked up.  Suspects were the detent
mechanism, and the parking pawl- both of which looked like I could get at
just by opening up the pan (TH350).  Pan got hung up on removal, and I
managed to spill pretty much the entire contents over my garage floor ;-(.
Detent seemed to be free.  Disassembled the parking pawl engagement and that
seemed to be OK.  Checked the hydraulic gear selector- and that seemed to be
OK.  By now things are becoming a complete mess.

Finally- disassembled the shift linkage... DOH!!!! the shifter was stuck.
There was nothing wrong with the tranny at all!  To add insult to injury,
there really wasn't anything wrong with the shifter- a split pit used to
'lock' the shifter in park had rotated so that the split was hung up on a
corner.  Press down a bit harder on the shifter when pulling it out of park-
and it was fine.  AAAARGH.

I guess this is better news than a serious tranny problem.  Still, a bit
frustrating to waste an entire evening on something so stupid.  Got it all
back together and it's been running (shifting) just fine all weekend.