Re: [oletrucks] Loose Steering problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Loose Steering problem
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:11:14 -0400
Mike,
   Depends on what you description of loose means.....At speeds does the
trucks seems to just wander over the road? when you hit a small bump in the
road does it want to "dart" to one side verses the other? While driving is
there play in the steering wheel or with the steering gear box? If the
steering components are worn out, then no stabalizer will help. I went
through the same stuff with my 56...I rebuilt the steering box which didn't
help much, I replaced the drag link, this connects the pitman arm to the
back of the
wheel. I got the best results from replacing this. Another gigantic help
was setting the toe in about 1/4 inch with a front end alignment. Next on
my list is replacement of the tie rod ends. My truck quiet wandering over
the read after the alignment and alot of the steering wheel play went away
with the drag link replacement.    Good luck, wayne

p.s. Here is an old message from Jim Forbes regarding steering system
adjustments........ Thanks to Jim....

Since the steering adjustment is similar, I'll go thru a quick layman's
version...but, you will of course eventually need to overhaul the gear,
as the bushings are most likely worn out, at the least.  There are two
adjustments, the worm bearing tension, and the gear mesh adjustment.
First, jack up the truck so the front wheels are off the ground, so the
steering is free to turn.  Put jack stands under the frame!

The worm bearings are adjusted by loosening the big lock nut, then
turning the bearing housing.  On the 59 and older trucks, this
adjustment is at the bottom of the box, at the front.  On the 60-newer
trucks, look at the top of the box, where the steering shaft (to the
steering wheel) sticks out.  Usually a hammer and blunt punch will
loosen the locknut.  The bearings should be adjusted to get a few
inch-pounds of drag on the worm gear (steering wheel), but you can
adjust it by tightening up to remove the play, then go just a smidgen
tighter..and tighen the locknut securely.

Then, adust the gear mesh, which is a slotted screw with a 5/8" hex
locknut.  Get the steering centered (wheels straight ahead), and loosen
the locknut.  Gradually tighten the adjusting screw in, while frequently
checking the steering play by turning the steering wheel back and forth
a turn or two...but leave it centered when adjusting.  Evenually, you
will take up the slack, unless the gears/bushings are really worn, in
which case the adjusting screw will go all the way into the box!  (not
good).  Tighten till the slack is all gone, then add about a half turn
of preload to it.  If all is well, you should feel the steering get just
a little bit harder as you pass thru the center of the steering wheel's
travel.  Tighten the locknut securely, and enjoy the "new" feel of
driving your truck.

Also, when you finally get around to rebuilding the gear, you will want
to have the shop manual for reference, so you can accurately adjust it.
A few years ago I bought a few tubes of GM steering gear lube from the
local dealer...I have one in the shop with the part number on it, I
think, if anyone is interested.  I don't know if it's still available,
but it may be.  This lube is neat, it's half way between grease and
oil.  Oil is too thin and leaks out, but grease is too thick and won't
properly lube the recirculating balls.  Use the right stuff!

Jim

>The steering on my 56 truck is a bit loose.  Not too bad at lower speeds but
>a bit difficult to keep between the lines as I pick speed.  Has an purchsed
>any type of steering stabilizer?  I've seen them advertised, look kinda like
>a horitzontal shock absorber.
>
>I would appreciate any ideas.  Hopefully short of replacing all the front
end
>steering parts unless of course that is the only answer.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Mike

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup