Re: [oletrucks] My first car show

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] My first car show
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:17:26 -0400
Smokey and Linda,
   Please don't let this discourge your efforts by any means. I have
carried my truck to many car shows years ago, went to them for 'about 2
years regularly and won a few trophies. The experiences were most enjoyable
but very dishearting to say the least. I don't go to shows anymore as I got
totally tired of seeing the same folks judge show after show after show.
These of course are not professional judges as they are just higher ups in
the local rod scene and this spreads out to a 4-5 county area. Their
personal perferences for a particular type of vehicle influences their
decisions, a person who is a original buff will not judge a rodded vehicle
the same way. I know they are supposed to be impartial but..... My trucks
only has about 8k
in it and its hard to be opptomistic when you're parked next to a 20-25
thousand dollar vehicle, of course mine looks like crap not only to the
judges but to folks viewing it parked next to one of these.
  I personally get more enjoyment and satisfaction from noticing someone
point at ya when ya drive by them. Best trill ever was I was gassing up and
an old guy or should I say older, came up and of course he used to have one
"just like it", we popped the hood and out of his mouth was, yeah but it
didn't look like that.  We looked inside and he was saying he had a 56
truck for 20 years and it just feel apart under heavy use. We had the door
open and commented,,,  crawl up in there and bust it off. By this time his
wife has allready came from their car--he quickly jumped it and looked down
for the foot started..  Puzzled, I said just turn the key....It fired up,
the older man  grined, revved it a few times and shut it down with a huge
smile.
  Now thats what its all about.......to me at least....   wayne

At 09:44 PM 9/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, fellow oletruckers, I entered my '50 3600 in my first car show
>Saturday (My class allowed up to 3 modifications).  Not knowing just what I
>was getting into, I really wasn't ready.  I figured a couple of chips in the
>paint job and a few frayed wires under the hood would go unnoticed.  NOT!
>
>Anyway, even though I didn't even place, it was really fun, and I saw some
>very cool rides.  Even fell in love with a '65 Ford pickup- I know, must
>have breathed too many gasoline fumes . . .
>
>I posted a picture from the show on my website.  You can see the fine old
>cars on each side of my truck.  The '57 Bel-Air was cherry!
>
>I guess that was my first and last car show, though.  Not that I mind
>putting the work into preparation, I just don't know that I want to have a
>show truck for my daily driver.  I guess it's enough just having the COOLEST
>set of wheels for miles around!
>
>Smokey Culver, League City, Texas
>'50 3600 5-window (mine)
>'58 Apache (hers)