Dummy's Guide to Timing (was Re: [oletrucks] Points -> electronic conver

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dummy's Guide to Timing (was Re: [oletrucks] Points -> electronic conversion?)
From: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:26:14 -0600 (MDT)

Doesn't sound too bad.  Now, assume I don't know anything about timing,
and that I've never timed an engine.  I have the shop manual for my truck,
and (I don't have it with me at the moment) I'm pretty sure it covers the
topic, but it assumes a basic knowledge of engine timing to begin with.

Could someone maybe give a quick rundown of how to adjust the timing on a
straight six, or perhaps point me in the direction of a tutorial of some
kind?  A list of needed tools would be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance,

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, New Mexico Jim wrote:

>     It was me who did that. I am very impressed with the way my truck runs. I
> switched over to R44S AC Delco plugs. The "S" is for extended gap. I run them
> with a .045" gap. I plan on running a cooler plug next time around, like a
> R42S. BTW, the "R" signifies a resistor plug. If you use Autolite plugs, run a
> number 85, I think it is. You may have to go to a smaller jet, because more of
> the gas gets burned and less tailpipe emissions and smoother running engine.
>     It takes about an hour to do the swap taking your time. To make things
> easier, Make a mark somewhere  number one plug  so you can get the new
> distrivutor close to where it should be to fire it up. Use a 10 gauge wire
> from the new coil to the ignition switch. Time it just like  always. Set the
> octane selector to "zero" and set the steel ball to the timing mark and maybe
> a few more degrees advanced for mileage and power. Don't go too advanced or
> ping may happen and CO's will go way up. I mounted my coil on the head by
> number 5 spark plug. I used a bolt hole for the original coil mount.
>     The only thing I don't like about the set up is the vacuum advance sticks
> out at an angle and doesn't look as neat as it could. I wouldn't let that stop
> you from the swap, though. Redrilling the distributor shaft to shift the drive
> gear drift pin hole over one way to get the base to be parallel with the
> block.
>     If you have any other questions, fire them off!
>

> tim wrote:

Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org
"Power that comes from the barrel of a gun can only be effective for a
short time." -The Dalai Lama
"We choose to go to the moon...because that goal will serve to organize
and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge
is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone,
and one which we intend to win." -John F. Kennedy
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it--even if I
have said it--unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common
sense." -Buddha