RE: [oletrucks] IFS ad infenitum

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] IFS ad infenitum
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:20:56 -0400
Really good insights into the problems and challenges we face when we do these
modifications.

Just for the sake of this discussion, and to play the devil's advocate (a role
I enjoy) I'll say this:  I don't think you can look at just the total weight of
the vehicle.  You have to consider the vehicle's weight distribution.  I'm not
totally familiar with the specifics of the Pacer so I'll use the Mustang II as
an example.  The Mustang suspension was designed to have the engine mounted
directly over the centerline of the wheels. Figure a 302 with air conditioning
and all the extras that's around 600 pounds.  That weight plus the natural
weight of the front half of the car puts over 60% of the total weight on the
front suspension, but... it was designed for it.  When these systems are
installed in street rods or our trucks the engines tend to be much further aft
and put much less weight up front.  That's why when using a Mustang suspension
you generally wind up using Pinto or Mustang 4 cyl springs.  My Pro-street
coupe I run a 454 (a good 700+ pounds).  In the 41 chassis !
the Mustang crossmember sits directly under the crankshaft damper.  The weight
distribution winds up being much further aft than in a Mustang and even using 4
cyl springs I had to take a full coil out to get the lower control arms to sit
level like they are supposed to.

Bottom line...If I was going to load my truck up on a regular basis and I was
using a Mustang II suspension, I would definitely use heavy duty control arms
and big brakes.  Other than that, the basic design can probably handle more
weight than a 1/2 ton is going to give it.

Bill Whittaker
'53 3100 Hemi
Built Like A Rock
With Mopar Stock