[oletrucks] Sandblaster and New Fuel Tank Fittings

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Sandblaster and New Fuel Tank Fittings
From: ldfinley@juno.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:43:33 -0500
Hi All,

To anyone like me who was resisting getting a sandblaster, don't wait any
longer.  I went down to my local Harbor Freight store and bought the
smallest tank style blaster that they have for sale.  I found that it
will hold 25 to 30 pounds of sand at a time.   It is regularly $59.00,
but was on sale for $45.00.  It was the best $45.00 I ever spent.

I just put some regular play sand in it, (be sure and screen it first),
and quite frankly was shocked at how quickly it got down to bear metal.
Believe me, there is no substitute for getting one.

I needed it in order to get rid of all the rust that was under the seat,
and gas tank in the cab.

By the way, if you purchase a new fuel tank from LMC Truck, you will need
to tap out the tank to match the original fittings.  These tanks are
quality tanks, but come with a 8 - 1.25 metric opening in the bottom, and
I went everywhere including LMC trying to find such a fitting.  I finally
bought a 1/8" NPT tap, (same as original tank), and 11/32 drill bit and
went to town.  1/8" NPT brass pipe can be found just about anywhere, (I
got mine at ACE Hardware), and it fit fine, after I performed surgery on
the tank.  These tanks are manufactured in Taiwan, and I suspect that
this is the reason for the small metric threads in the bottom of the
tanks.  The Chinese can exactly duplicate the tanks, but haven't figured
out how to cut American threads yet.

Happy Truckin!

Larry
'51 3100 Deluxe Cab