[oletrucks] Bearing tightening specs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Bearing tightening specs
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:55:52 -0500
I have converted the front wheel bearings from standard ball
bearings to roller bearings in my 57 GMC half ton.  I know
that the roller bearings do not require as much load from the
spindle nut as the ball bearings do, but I do not know what
the proper load is.

I read that the proper way to set up roller bearings is to
tighten the nut to a high value (say 30-40 foot pounds) while
rotating the tire by hand to "seat" the bearing and then
backing off the nut to a low value.  One article said that the
low value was in the 20-25 INCH POUND range.  This seems very
light to me.

Anyone out there have this information?  Maybe service manuals
on later model cars/trucks that used tapered roller bearings
would be a good source.