Re: [oletrucks] Rust converter....EXTEND does NOT convert, it coats...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rust converter....EXTEND does NOT convert, it coats...
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:52:09 -0700
>   I don't know how many of you really look at these products after you use
>them....I tried Extend a time or two, but all it really does is create a
>slick black coating on the metal...if you bang on it at all, it comes off

I can't testify to Extend, but I use a product called Defender II which is
made by State Chemical Co. in Ohio.  Someone gave me half a gallon twelve
years ago and I still have a couple of inches in the bottom of the jug.  A
little goes a long way.

I love the stuff.  It does not come off, and it stops the rust from
continuing to form.  I use it on new steel as well as old.  I made a fence
last year from steel tube and coated it with the stuff.  It still has a nice
shiny blue black coating, except where I missed a spot or two.

On the truck, I brush it wherever I have a surface that is likely to have a
lot of moisture build up that can't be seen.  When I stripped my grille
recently, I painted converter on the underside and then coated with primer.
Because of the tight curves on the underside of some of the grille pieces, I
could not be sure I had eliminated all the surface rust.  Having that
converter under there gives me some peace of mind that my paint job won't be
undermined in 6 months by a bad surface bond.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)