Re: [oletrucks] Primer, paint, chrome and all that.

To: "Terry Bancesco" <drducttape@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Primer, paint, chrome and all that.
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:07:57 -0700
blasphemous
>as this may seem, I wish to paint my chrome handles and wiper arms and
other
>little doodads. (which are too rusty and bubbly to polish up, and I'm not
>within reach of the facilities or the pocket change to re-chrome)
>I'm wondering, how does one etch the surface (affordably) to make the paint
>stick for good?

Hi Terry,

Remember that you can affordably get replacements for door handles and wiper
bezels from the good suppliers.  But if you do want to paint them, just run
them through the wire wheel on your bench grinder, and prime and paint.

>Also, what is the best sandable primer/paint combinations for our trucks?
(brands?)

I like PPG.  DP 40, 50 90, etc. non sandable epoxy primer, followed by
Pacific Coast Laquer Company Polyprimer, which is sandable, followed by PPG
acrylic enamel or urethane top coat.

This is not to knock other brands.  I just have had good experience with PPG
and not a lot of experience with other brands.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)