[oletrucks] Downshifting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Downshifting
From: NTemple46@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:40:03 EDT
I am following the Master Cylinder thread and everyone seems to lean towards
the downshift in emergency's.  Now for a little ignorance from my driver's
seat.  My 2-ton 46 Chevy has the original 4 speed in it.  In 46 the 3-speed
tranny was synchro in 2nd and 3rd but the 4-speed is "non- synchro" all the
way.  I have had little to no luck trying to downshift when I need to on
hills or to avoid heavy braking.  Occasionally if I have to I can grind it
in, but I just can't seem to get a smooth downshift.  What is the trick?
RPM's? Single clutch? double clutch?

Neil